Saturday, September 8, 2012

Our house! Part 4: The Dining Room



Here's the last room I'll be posting today.
The Dining Room.

Soon I'll post the last two rooms (Bedroom, and Living Room).
At some point I'll post the back yard and garage too, just for fun! :)
I'm in the process of working on painting the back porch as well,
but i've had a few set backs. 
I picked a color, which John and I both didn't end up liking.
So,
Now I have to prime and repaint the floor of the deck a different color.
It's also been raining lately,
so I haven't been able to work on it.

Anyway, back to this post.

I actually have a before picture for the Dining Room! :) 

I'll post it now...


I was not a big fan of the colors in this room.
You can't see it too well, but the wood trim, again, had paint on it. Whoever painted the walls was not very careful about keeping the trim clean.
Also, the dark on top and dark on bottom just made the whole room seem smaller and darker.

I've always loved white and gray dining rooms, and really wanted to do a pretty wallpaper, but knew that's hard to work with, and very difficult to change out later on. So, I decided to do a stencil on the top of the walls, that looks like a wallpaper.

My mom was awesome and came over one day and worked on the stenciling with me for like 12 hours! It took forever, but I LOVE how it turned out.

The other big thing in the room that I love is the wall on the left of this picture. You can't see it in this picture but it's a slanted wood wall.
When I first saw it, I wasn't a big fan.
The top half of the wall on that side was wood paneling, which looked cool, but the wood was orange-y and plastic just not really nice looking wood.
I decided to try a "white wash" effect on the wood, 
but with a grey paint to match the rest of the room.
I really love how it turned out.

Here's some pics of it now! :)




This pic is a little bright so below I posted another one. The one below was at night though, so it looks a bit darker.





This is a china cabinet I got from a friend. It was brown, which really didn't match my decor, and since it was a fake wood design laminate on plywood I couldn't sand it down and stain it, so I decided to try something more crazy with it.
At first I wasn't sure about it, but I think it looks cool with the room. 












Here's a close up of the stencil work! I love it! :) It looks like wallpaper
but it's subtle and easier to deal with. 




 This is the wood wall we "white washed" with the grey paint.
I love this wall, and I love how it breaks up the room so it's not all 
the stencil. 
It adds something different to break it up.
The bottom also took forever to paint white after it had been painted such a dark brown.
I love having a bright dining room. :)









Well, that's all I will post today.

Next up will be parts 5 & 6

The Bedroom, and the Living Room.

That'll finish off the "tour" of the inside of our house.

I hope it's fun for everyone that hasn't been able to come over yet, or lives far away to see our place.
I've had fun working on it, and posting about it. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment